Saturday, February 27, 2010

PIAF - Haircuts by Children

It's time again for that month-long arts extravaganza called the Perth International Arts Festival.  Fabulous event, something for everyone, I wrote about attending the Writer's Festival portion of it last year.  And I will attend Writer's Festival events this year, but I already know what my favorite part of this year's Festival is.

Haircuts by Children.  Never mind the whiney, we-don't-overpraise-our-kids enough description of the event [e.g. "Each stylish new coiffure proves that kids are competent and creative members of society who deserve our respect."] it is just a bit of fun. The kids of Roseworth Primary School were clearly excited about a huge supply of real heads (not dolls heads) to work on and took to their duties--under watchful eyes of pros--with proper import.  My style team consisted of Skye Watson and Jack Leighton-Jones. Skye tended to the details: the welcoming chitchat ("Is this your first time here?"), the obligatory compliments (" Your hair is very soft"), confirming the order ("So, we're doing a trim, style and color. Right?")  and hairdressing insider secrets ("My mum and nanna are from Scotland, that's where I get my beautiful red hair.")  Jack has an eye for the big picture: hair never stayed on the floor for long and the clips & pins were always in order.
The choices of service were clearly displayed at every station: Trim, Style, Mohawk, Whatever?!, Colors.  Having done numerous hairshows in my life, I opted for the full complement. After Skye trimmed my hair, made the sides shorter (er, much shorter), put styling gel in, combed and pinned it into place and applied hairspray.  Jack enthusiastically sprayed on the gold glitter. I was Stylin' ! It is not exactly even, but balance & symmetry can be so overrated. Doubtless that is the reason so many hairdressers signed up for the free haircut.


Roseworth Primary School, an ethnically diverse school whose students might not otherwise have been able to attend PIAF events, is also in charge of the Children's Choice Awards. They've been shuttled to events in order to be able to judge such categories as: Best Hair, Most Enjoyable for Old People and Most Cheering Applause. Bravo, Roseworth!


Appearing Rooms.  Not wanting the party to end so soon, Kev and I walked over to one of the art installations at the Culture Centre area.  A different kind of architecture, "...jets of water shoot into the air to create 'rooms', which disappear as quickly as they emerge." Too cool. And on a hot day, the temptation to walk through walls is great indeed.
Scouts Parade.  But wait, there's more.  What is an exciting day in the City without a parade?  Don't know why  Scouts of all ages (and both genders) were marching, but I was there for the entire thing. Only my secondary Hannah Montana cam was handy, but you get the picture.  Pity you didn't get to Perth for the Festival.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment